Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious issue, and it is one that employers should take all measures to prevent. This type of behavior can create a very uncomfortable and hostile work environment, which can lead to legal action against both the harasser and the employer as a whole. As such, it is important for you to know what sexual harassment is, what you can do if you feel as though you are being harassed in the workplace, and when to look for help from a workplace harassment lawyer near me.
What is Sexual Harassment?
There are several questions that often arise when dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace – What exactly constitutes sexual harassment? What can you do if you feel as though you are being harassed? Some of the key points to keep in mind include:
- What is considered to be sexual harassment? This may include unwelcome verbal or physical sexual advances, as well as unwanted sexual attention or comments that can be verbal, emails or text messages. It also comes in the form of an employee being asked for sexual favors in exchange for favorable treatment.
- How can employees address situations of sexual harassment? Depending on the situation, speaking with a supervisor, or reporting the incident to a designated Human Resources representative, or consulting a workplace harassment lawyer. If the employer has a written policy, employees should always follow the steps in the written policy to address the sexual harassment.
- What are the legal implications of sexual harassment in the workplace? As an employee, if you feel that you have been the victim of sexual harassment, it is important to look for a qualified “workplace harassment lawyer near me” to understand your rights and legal options.
With the right information and support, you can feel empowered to stand up against unlawful harassment and take action to create a safe and inclusive workplace environment.
What are Some Common Forms of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace?
There are several different forms that sexual harassment in the workplace can take, including unwanted advances, verbal or physical misconduct, suggestive comments or gestures, and more. Some common examples include:
- Unwelcome touching or physical contact, including kissing or groping.
- Demeaning comments or jokes about a person’s gender, appearance, or sexual orientation. This frequently comes in the form of verbal comments and/or text messages.
- Sexual propositions or demands for sexual favors. Also known as Quid Pro Quo.
- Insults or intimidation based on one’s gender or sexuality.
- Any other type of unwelcome sexual behavior that creates a hostile work environment for employees.
What Should You Do If you are Being Harassed at Work?
If you are experiencing sexual harassment in the workplace, there are several steps that you can take to address and resolve the situation. Some of these actions may include:
- Speaking with your supervisor or HR representative about your concerns. The priority is to follow the employer’s written policy and the steps that are recommended.
- Documenting all instances of harassment, including the time, place, and nature of the incidents. Examples include: keeping emails, text messages, and writing down incidents.
- Seeking support and advice from a professional, including a search for a “workplace harassment lawyer near me.”
- Reporting any instances of harassment to your employer in accordance with their policies.
- Filing a complaint with relevant external organizations such as the DFEH and/or EEOC if needed.
Workplace Harassment Lawyer Near Me
If you believe you are experiencing sexual harassment in the workplace and searching for a “workplace harassment lawyer near me,” contact Mark Charles Law today for a free consultation. We will help you determine if you have a case, as well as how to go forward with it.